- Don’t pack too much. You're going on a trip, not preparing for the zombie apocalypse. If you're wondering whether or not you need that extra bag of peanuts, odds are you don’t. Plus, if your poor suitcase looks like it can barely hold itself together anymore, have some pity on it and lighten its load.
- Maximize space. Roll up your clothes and place them snugly beside each other. This way, they will take up less surface area and minimize the space they take up. This helps significantly!
- Don’t pack too little. It’s bad to pack too much, but it's just as bad to be underprepared. Trust me, you are going to want to be able to brush your teeth, regardless of which country you are in.
- Make a list. Ah, how to be prepared without overpacking. Write out a list of the things that you are going to need. When you see the list and follow it, it will lessen the urge to pack useless things, or forget to pack important things.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. I have to admit that I am guilty of this. I knew about my trip for months, yet I still decided to pack the night before. If you wait until the night before you will be stressed and panicked, and you will probably forget something you need. It may be hard to pack essentials, like toothbrushes and face wash ahead of time, but you can plan! Try to choose which outfits you want to wear on your trip as well as extra things like accessories or books.
- Check the weather. This may be obvious to some, but you never know. It may be snowing in Vancouver when you go, and the shorts you packed are pretty much useless against the cold weather. This could be the determining factor on how you spend the rest of the trip. Nobody wants to be caught in a week worth of thunderstorms with a velvet jumpsuit on.
With these little tips in mind, hopefully you will not make the same mistakes as I did, and can have an enjoyable travelling experience. Most important, don't forget your Limeapple gear!